Permitting and Compliance - Water Quality - Industrial Wastewater
Kennedy Space Center (KSC) categorizes wastewater as either industrial wastewater or domestic wastewater. Industrial wastewater must be properly treated and managed to ensure public health, safety, compliance with regulations, and protection of the environment.
Depending on the volume, process, location, types of contaminants, and concentrations of contaminants, the industrial wastewater management requirements and disposal methods can vary. At Kennedy, industrial wastewater is generally managed and disposed by one of the following methods:
- Containerization (usually in drums or tanks) for off-center shipment and proper disposal
- Discharge to the domestic wastewater system under an approval issued by the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station domestic wastewater treatment plant operator. Pretreatment of the wastewater may be required.
- Collection, treatment, and discharge to the environment under an industrial wastewater permit issued by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP).
- Direct discharge to the environment with minimal or no treatment. Approval by the NASA Environmental Assurance Branch (EAB) and FDEP may be required.
The NASA EAB maintains an inventory of all industrial wastewater activities called the Kennedy Industrial Wastewater Inventory (KIWI). The KIWI outlines the approved disposal method for each industrial wastewater. Kennedy organizations and contractors are responsible for updating their industrial wastewater activities in the KIWI.
For new industrial wastewater sources, Kennedy organizations and contractors shall submit the wastewater characteristics to the NASA EAB for evaluation. To support this evaluation, the organization or contractor may need to complete sampling/analysis and the waste characterization process described in Chapter 13 of KNPR 8500.1 (KSC Environmental Requirements). The NASA EAB will identify the appropriate disposal method and determine if an industrial wastewater permit is required. If an industrial wastewater permit is required, Kennedy's organization or contractor shall prepare the permit application and submit it to the NASA EAB for processing with the FDEP in accordance with Chapter 12 of KNPR 8500.1 (KSC Environmental Requirements). All correspondence and communication with regulatory agencies regarding the permit must be performed by the NASA EAB.
Industrial Wastewater Points of Contact
- Doug Durham (321-867-8429)
- Tom Price (321-867-8988)