Permitting and Compliance - Air Emissions - Ozone Depleting Substances
Title VI of the Federal Clean Air Act (CAA) involves protection of the stratospheric ozone layer. These regulations, located in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 40 Part 82, govern the manufacture, use, and releases of ozone depleting substances (ODS). Kennedy Space Center organizations and contractors shall comply with these regulations, take measures to minimize releases of ODSs, and immediately report releases of ODSs to the NASA Environmental Assurance Branch.
Below is a summary of key ODS regulatory requirements applicable to KSC operations:
- 40 CFR Part 82.154 states that no person maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of appliances may knowingly vent or otherwise release into the environment any Class I or Class II ODS used as refrigerant in such equipment.
- 40 CFR Parts 82.156 and 82.166 state that accidental releases of equipment normally containing more than 50 pounds of refrigerant must be recorded and tracked to determine the leak rate. Equipment must be repaired to bring the annual leak rate to below 35% of the total charge.
- 40 CFR Part 82.158 requires recycling and recovery equipment to be certified.
- 40 CFR Part 82.161 requires all technicians who maintain, service, or repair appliances or equipment to be certified.
- 40 CFR Part 82 Subpart H contains the regulatory requirements for halons. KSC maintains the agency-wide reserve of halon (aka "NASA Halon Bank").
ODS Point of Contact
Zach Hall (321) 867-5178
Christine Vanaman (321)-867-3586